1994 Jeep Cherokee XJ, 4.0 Auto, NP231, Dana 30 4.56 Gears and Detroit Locker, Dana 44 4.56 Gears Eaton ELocker, Rubicon Express 5.5" Long Arm, 33x12.50 15 TRXUS MT's

Monday, February 8, 2010

Oil Filter Adapter Leak

So far the rear main seal and oil pan gasket have been replaced. New valve cover gasket and head gasket and the other day I noticed a nice size oil spot on the ground. While my Jeep was running it would drip every five seconds. I noticed the oil was gathering around the oil filter adapter. After doing some research I found these helpful links on how easy it is to fix the leak:


http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/filter.html

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARoilFilterConversion/OilFilterConversion.htm

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoOilAdaptorOrings.htm


I needed three O rings and one T60 torx bit. I have two torx bit sets but neither had a T60 needed to get the adapter off. After a trip to Sears I was able to pick one up for five bucks and made in the USA.

The problem I had was the space between the bolt and frame. I couldn't get a ratchet on the socket like mentioned in the links above so I ground four sides onto the socket. I was then able to get a crescent wrench onto it. Using a homemade breaker bar setup consisting of a 1/2 drive breaker bar and a large socket I was able to break the bolt. It was on there good.



After looking at the bolt I noticed there were no O rings on it. I'm surprised I wasn't leaking more oil than what it was doing already. I still can't believe there were no O rings on it.







I reused my oil filter because it was replaced recently. The fix would of took me a half hour if it wasn't so hard to break the torx bolt. Why torx, sheesh.

No comments: